A ‘scrap’ is a small piece of something. A scrapbook is an album or digital content wherein a collection of graphic design samples are posted or kept as a reference material. It is a book with empty pages on which the graphic artist sticks or pastes these small samples for future use. Items that will be present in a scrapbook include pictures, drawings, lettering styles, cut out pieces from magazines, posters, packages, labels, cartoons etc. Scrapbooking is one of the simplest ways of preserving necessary information that will be relevant to the artist while attending to his duties. It can be a very important aid that assists him in preserving his personal and family history.
The scrapbook is different from a portfolio in that a portfolio is a collection of only the works of the artist while a scrapbook incorporates each the works of the artist and more importantly the works of others. Some of the importance includes:
1. It serves as a reference material- The scrapbook helps the graphic artist to make a quick reference to his own creative works. This inference helps him to provide similar works with less stress. He may use it to make reference to his capabilities to recent clients who would love to see photo evidence of the creative prowess of the artist.
2. It serves as a storehouse for the preservation of graphic design works- It serves as a place where the graphic artist stores all his creative works and that of other seasoned graphic artists who’re sources of inspiration to the graphic designer.
3. It assists the graphic artist in executing jobs- It serves as a memory aid when executing projects in graphic design. It helps the artist in picking harmonious colors and forms for his productions.
4. It serves as an inspirational tool for the graphic designer- The works of other artists within the scrapbook serves as strings of motivation and inspiration to the graphic artist. They give the artist a feeling of enthusiasm that reinforces his morale and puts before him a challenge for the creation of higher works full of recent and inventive ideas.
5. It serves as a guide to the graphic artist- The works in it serves as a tutor for the graphic artist on effective ways and procedures for producing specific works in the sphere of graphic design. It defines the parameters for the execution of graphic design works reminiscent of posters, book jackets, banners, billboards, labels, greeting cards etc.